When starting your e-commerce journey and opening your very own online store, there are a number of things you need to do in order to nail your start, from taking quality product images to uploading your logo to writing catchy product descriptions and choosing a template that presents your products in the most advantageous way possible. However, apart from these things, there is one extremely overlooked aspect of being an online store owner, and that is being human.
Yes, you read it right, being human. Your customers can appreciate the beauty of your images and of your concept for the store but if they don’t feel trust and connection, it doesn’t really matter how professional your online store really is, it won’t be liked and it most certainly won’t be remembered.
So how can you be human and relatable, all while running a well-oiled online store? Find out below:
- Struck a human chord by telling your story. People are naturally drawn to human stories that present the products from a human perspective. Incorporate the story of how you first started out or how you discovered your passion for creating. Mention what inspired you, and how that creative process grew into the business you have today. People want to relate to you, help them with it!
- Give life to your products by personifying them and writing descriptions as if your products would talk to their potential buyers. Add an element of fun that will guarantee people will remember you and your products.
- Content coming from your users. Encourage your customers to mention your products and buying from you. Use these mentions to build trust in customers who are contemplating purchasing something. Be open-minded and listen to the critics as well, they can teach you the greatest deal about your products and about the market’s needs. Pay close attention to them, you will thank them later!
- Make your store be all about customers and their needs. Present your products from a perspective of customer-benefits. Your products could be the greatest invention since the wheel, if your buyers don’t see that, it’s all for nothing!
- Display testimonials of your satisfied or loyal customers. What better way to build trust?
- Make sure to include a picture of yourself in the contact or about us menu- show that you are a person and they are reaching out to you instead of a faceless email address they can’t identify. Include a short description of how you fell in love with that type of products or your first encounter with that specific fabric or material, help your readers understand your journey and understand that you are a person.
- Encourage your customers to showcase what they bought from you and post a picture of it with a hashtag including your store’s name- creates trust for potential customers
- Send your product samples to bloggers and have them test drive it and write an honest review that you could share on your blog with their consent. Make sure you get press and you are talked about.
- Add a Customer Gallery in your Menu where you feature happy customers’ images of your product. Link happiness and joy to your products, visually. The rest will follow.
- When writing your blog, make sure you add posts on your products along with your atelier or your cats and include pictures of yourself as well. You could also invite your loyal customers to guest-post on your blog or to take over your Instagram account to conduct a giveaway or to talk about your products and shopping experience.
Follow these 10 tips and let us know about the outcome! Cheers!