Do you ever flip through magazines and see great product features of artisans and hardcrafters and think, how did they get there and what do I need to do to be featured?
Here is a list of ideas that might help you in the process of getting closer to your dream of being featured in a magazine:
- Make a list of all the magazines you would like to be featured in and you are already one step closer to the realisation of your dream. Try and find magazines that do features similar to what you might offer, in terms of product, because those are the most likely to feature you.
- Do some research and find the editors or the people in charge of product features at these magazines and contact them via email. Touch a friendly tone, be brief and concise and don’t forget to include a great product picture and description and a link to your brand’s social media and Shoptsie web store link.
- Make sure the photos you include or attach to these mails are relevant and reflect the spirit of the upcoming period, if it’s October, you might want to plan ahead and take Halloween and Christmas themed pictures, so by the time they will feature you, it will all click. Now you might want to consider Valentine’s Day, as the biggest upcoming event and use that to your (picture’s) advantage.
- Approach journalists and send them BRIEF emails with the most important details and info. Nobody has got the time to read pages after pages, let alone journalists, who practically live in the realm of deadlines.
- Local newspaper coverage should get your brand known in your area and people are more open to things and faces they are familiar with. Local journalists might be a bit more open to do a feature of someone from the community, but the same rules apply to their time as well so keep that in mind.
- In this era of social media you should make the most of it by creating social media accounts and post religiously to promote your brand and your products.
- Approach online newspapers and magazines the same fashion you would approach an offline newspaper and magazine. Send them emails including links and pictures etc.